A wonderful holiday tradition, the Austin Daylily Society gathered for a potluck and gift exchange at the home of Gary and Suzanne Adair. The meal was delicious and the gift swap was zany as usual with our group 😆 we also welcomed incoming president, Jennifer Renner. Merry Christmas and happy holidays! 🌲
Once all of the hard work of carefully transporting and grooming our daylilies is done, after the judging is complete, and the last of the public have left the show - we've started a tradition of gathering our entries for a final picture. Thanks to Beth Collier for these terrific images from the 2018 Show in May.
Congratulations to the winners and sincere thanks to all of the volunteers who make this annual show such a favorite of Austin gardeners! Plus a huge thanks to the show co-chairs: Beth Collier & Suzanne Adair! Here are a few images from the show.
Horticulture Section winners
Photo key, left to right, top to bottom
- Section 1: Extra-large flower: H. 'Yellow Satellite' - exhibited by Jennifer Renner
- Section 2: Large flower: H. 'Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis' - exhibited by Mike Peppers
- Section 3: Small flower; H. 'Mambo Maid' - exhibited by Jennifer Renner
- Section 4: Miniature flower: H. 'Texas Cherry' - exhibited by Janice Heiskell
- Section 5: Double flower: H. 'Gulf Coast Ronnie's Memorial' - exhibited by Jerre Threatte
- Section 6: Spider flower: H. 'Calico Spider' - exhibited by Jennifer Renner
- Section 7: Unusual Form flower: H. 'Christmas in Oz' - exhibited by Bert Marcom
- Section 9: Popularity Poll: H. 'Little Orange Tex' - exhibited by Janice Heiskell
- Section 10: Seedlings: "Hathaway seedling" - exhibited by David Hathaway
Display Division winners
Photo key, left to right
- Class A: "Texas Swing"- first place was awarded to Suzanne Adair
- Class B: "Tango" - first place was awarded to Velia Sanchez Ruiz
- Class C: "Waltz" - first place and the Tri-Color Award were awarded to Beth Zimpleman
The next meeting of the Lone Star Daylily Society will be held on Feb 18. The program will be a presentation by hybridizers Dan and Jane Trimmer of Watermill Gardens. An auction of some of their introductions will follow. The public is invited to attend. As the names of the daylilies in the auction become available, they will be added to their page.
Regular Club meetings:
3rd Sunday each month, from 2:00 - 5:00 p.m at the Alvin Senior Citizens Building located at 309 West Sealy, Alvin, Texas.
John Turrentine, VP Programs, North Texas Daylily Society, has created a very informative PowerPoint program titled "What is the AHS?" John wanted to share this program with the other Region 6 clubs, so he made the file available in PDF format. Ray Houston has posted it to the Region 6 website for all to share.
The file can be accessed from the website menu by selecting History, AHS & Region 6 History, or use the link: http://www.ahsregion6.com/history.htm
The 2018 Region 6 Meeting will be held May 17-19, 2018, in beautiful Lake Jackson, Texas; hosted by the Brazosport Daylily Society. This year's theme is "Beautiful Brazosport in Bloom" - we look forward to seeing you
David & Nancy Freshour
Eddie Raye Andrews
Edna Lankart Awards bed
Please send your seedlings for the Region 6 Edna Lankart Award
to the following address:
5748 FM 2611
Brazoria, TX 77422
Further information will follow as it becomes available...